Re: PostgreSQL configuration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com
Subject Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Christopher Browne wrote:

> ...Tom ... commented that all of the core developers make extensive use
> of the notion of having _many_ backends around, and therefore ...
>
> Core folk aren't likely to write up patches designed to shoot
> themselves in the foot this way ...

I's not just core developers who use this feature.

For a program that's trying to be compatabile with Oracle,
MySQL, MSSQLServer and PostgreSQL for backends, it's nice
to have 7.3.X, 7.4.X, heck, even 7.0 family postgresql's
running.  And indeed, all except SQLServer (another guy's
doing this one) are running on my machine.

I test frequently against whatever database(s) are running on
my development mahines.  I test rarely against databases that
aren't.  Anything that makes that harder would be bad for developers
using PostgreSQL as well as for the core team.
  Ron