Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Earle
Subject Re: Error installing postgresql-7.3.2 (fixed, but Q
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jon Earle <je_pgsql@kronos.honk.org> writes:
> > On Thu, 8 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Should we take it out of configure?
>
> > Hmm.. this could be problematic.  How then could one build binaries that
> > can be simply dropped onto nearly any system with assurances that it will
> > work?
>
> If you mean "drop them into nearly any random place in the filesystem",
> the answer is you can't.  Not relying on shared libraries would do
> little to improve the situation.  BINDIR and PKGLIBDIR are both
> hard-wired into various executables, and there may be other installation
> paths hard-wired as well.

No, not quite what I meant.  I mean, if I want to drop it onto a Suse box,
or an Older RH installation, or someone's customized Gentoo, or some such,
where the shared libs might be different versions, I'd have some trouble,
yes?  OTOH, a statically built version could be plopped onto virtually
anything out there (within reason of course).

Cheers!
Jon

--
Jon Earle

SAVE FARSCAPE http://www.savefarscape.com/

While it's okay to disagree with your friends and family, childish insults
do not express sovereignty.