Re: Help - Urgent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: Help - Urgent
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, ElayaRaja S wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am unable to restart the PostgreSQL. I am using redhat Linux 9
> with postgresql 7.4.5. Unexpectedly due to ups problem my server was
> shutdown once. After that i am unable to restart the server.

> DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3,
> which is not compatible with this version 7.4.5.
> pg_ctl: cannot start postmaster

Sounds like you have upgraded from 7.3 to 7.4, and first now when you
rebooted it tried to use the new installation. The binary data files for
7.3 does not work with 7.4. To upgrade one need to dump the old and
restore into the new.

The solution is most likely to downgrade to the previous version, the one
that created those data files (7.3.x).

--
/Dennis Björklund