Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andras Kadinger
Subject Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane?
Date
List pgsql-performance
What do your "values" consist of?

Would it be possible to group several hundred or thousand of them into a
single row somehow that still makes it possible for your queries to get at
them efficiently?

What kind of queries will you want to run against the data?

For example if you have a measurement of some process value each
millisecond, it might be a good performance tradeoff to pack a whole
second of measurements into a single row if your data processing only
needs to access the values sequentially. With this single step you
immediately reduced your row and transaction number to the 1/1000th.

Please tell us more.