Re: make == as = ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: make == as = ?
Date
Re: make == as = ?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > =? as != is a synonum for <>, it would make sense.
>
> That was never such a terribly good idea, IMHO.

Agreed. Compilers should give errors and not try to work around bad code.
Had the first generation of browsers done that we would have had a much
nicer web today.

It would be useful with some flag/variable to set that makes pg generate
varnings for non standard constructs. Unfortunatly there are so many
things that are non standard, still using != instead of <> could be a
usable warning.

--
/Dennis Björklund