Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bret Busby
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Chris Travers wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:44:48 +0700
> From: Chris Travers <chris@travelamericas.com>
> To: Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org>
> Cc: aspire420@hotpop.com, pgsql-advocay@postgresql.org,
>      pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

<snip>

> In short, I do not see MySQL as any sort of threat to PostgreSQL, near or
> long-term.  PostgreSQL will continue when MySQL no longer exists.  Firebird
> is a more serious competitor long-term, though I found it to be hard to
> learn when compared to PostgreSQL.  It has a long way to go before being as
> easy to use as PostgreSQL.

I suggest that it is a bit premature, to suggest that MySQL will
disappear, and that PostgreSQL will still exist.

Each does have its advantages, and, people develop things in parallel in
the two different systems.

For example, on the perl-gedcom list, people have developed, in
parallel, genealogy database systems that they use, some using MySQL,
some using PostgreSQL. People have their preferences, as some still use
(or require to be used) MS Access, or Foxpro, or SQL-Server, or
Informix, etc.

Does PostgreSQL yet allow the user or programmer, to determine where the
database will be stored? From memory, that has (or had) been a
shortcoming of PodtgreSQL; there was no control as to where the database
was stored, so that, for example, from my understanding, where an ISP
allowed PostgreSQL usage for web sites, all of the PostgreSQL databases
of all the ISP account holders, were stored in the same location, which
was not under the account-holder's home directory; similarly, if I, on a
LAN, create a database InventoryThing, as user frednerk, and, create a
database AccountsThing, as user joebloggs, my understanding is that both
databases will be stored in a central PostgreSQL repository, rather than
under each user home directory. Thus, if the frednerk home directory and
everything under it, is backed up by frednerk, it appears that
InventoryThing is not backed up, and, similarly, with joebloggs and
AccountsThing. Likewise with separate ISP accounts and any PostgreSQL
databases that they have and use on their web sites. Clarification of
whether my understanding is correct, would be appreciated.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."