Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bret Busby
Subject Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:41:39 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> To: Chris Travers <chris@travelamericas.com>
> Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net>,
>      pgsql-novice@postgresql.org, pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
>
> Chris Travers wrote:
> > I think though that there is an opportunity, though, for us to perhaps
> > work together in developing a Postgresql training base curriculum.  We
> > can pool some resources and perhaps develop at least a list of the
> > things which ought to be covered. Perhaps this can lead to books on the
> > subject, etc.  I am thinking that an open curriculum might be something
> > very helpful particularly for novices.  It doesn't have to lead to
> > certification, but it could enable third parties (including Brainbench)
> > to build certifications that they could charge for.
>
> All my class presentations are on my home page --- the only thing that
> isn't there is the exercises.

And, from what I have seen of the Table of Contents of the book,
as listed on the Internet, exercises are also not there.

Exercises make alot of difference to training and learning, as, from
exercises, comes understanding and remembering.

That is one of the reasons that I seek formalised, standardised
training, and a Teach Yourself PostgreSQL In 21 Days book (to which I
recently alluded in a particular query about the book), apart from the
certifications.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale