Re: Patch for adding DATACUBE operator - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From sumit
Subject Re: Patch for adding DATACUBE operator
Date
List pgsql-patches
    Well, it is true that the information for the ALL rows is present
in the base query. But then adding the ALL rows directly after examining
the result, we think, is not as efficient as it sounds.

    Consider the situation you are talking about. Suppose we decide to
add the ALL rows directly to the base result. A major drawback would be
that we would have to execute the whole WHERE clause and/or joins over the
original relations, which, in case of large databases, would cause a lot of
overhead. Whereas, executing the UNION of SELECT queries on the base table
obtained from the base query (WITHOUT CUBE) does not have to handle these
situations (WHERE clause, JOIN cases). More importantly, this is faster
(due to the relatively smaller size).

    It is true that a summary table is much smaller than the base
table. But a DATACUBE (as per definition) takes into account even the base
query (the one WITHOUT CUBE). We have referred some sites and articles
before planning the code. Since we are building a DATACUBE all the
information is required.

    Hope we have made ourselves clear.

Sumit
Srikanth