Patch for psql to avoid altering the PGresult strings - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Dennis Björklund
Subject Patch for psql to avoid altering the PGresult strings
Date
List pgsql-patches
The mbvalidate() function was called on the PGresult strings, and it
changes the strings (removes unknown characters).

I've change the validation function to one that either returns a new
string when needed or NULL when the string already was validating. The
normal case is to have validating strings so in most cases no new strings
are created.

I have not included changes to avoid sending non validating strings to the
server. It's not clear what is the best way to solve it. Maybe one should
just do a stupid fix for 7.4 and validate the strings like above and just
delete non validating strings. It is possible to solve it in a better way,
but it's more complicated. We have 4 different charsets to think about in
psql. The server, the client, the terminal and the message catalog (the
last two usually matches, but not always). I would prefer to find a good
solution instead of just patching one small problem after another.

--
/Dennis

Attachment