Re: [HACKERS] Changing the default configuration (was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Changing the default configuration (was Re:
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Changing the default configuration (was Re:  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Tom Lane writes:

> Well, as I commented later in that mail, I feel that 1000 buffers is
> a reasonable choice --- but I have to admit that I have no hard data
> to back up that feeling.

I know you like it in that range, and 4 or 8 MB of buffers by default
should not be a problem.  But personally I think if the optimal buffer
size does not depend on both the physical RAM you want to dedicate to
PostgreSQL and the nature and size of the database, then we have achieved
a medium revolution in computer science. ;-)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net