Re: Docs for service file - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Docs for service file
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Rather than documenting it and thereby locking ourselves into a
> > misdesigned "feature", I'd vote for removing code and docs too.
> > We can put the concept on the TODO-for-protocol-change list instead.
>
> Other votes?

I'm still looking for a reason to use this feature.  Clearly, as it stands
it is only single-host.  And on a single host you can use the environment
variables.  Also, any reasonable application provides its own way to
encapsulate database connection information.  And the other emails don't
convince me at all that this is somehow "Oracle-compatible".

Maybe you want to use ODBC, which gives you something like this and much
more.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net