Re: Multibyte support in oracle_compat.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Multibyte support in oracle_compat.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> BTW, nls has same problem as above, no? I guess nls depeneds on locale
> and it may conflict with the database-specific encoding and/or the
> automatic FE/BE encoding conversion.

GNU gettext does its own encoding conversion.  It reads the program's
character encoding from the LC_CTYPE locale and converts the material in
the translation catalogs on the fly for output.  This is great in general,
really, but for the postmaster it's a problem.  If LC_CTYPE is fixed for
the cluster and you later on change your mind about the message language
the it will be recoded into the character set that LC_CTYPE says.  And if
that character set does not match the one that is set as the backend
encoding internally then who knows what will happen when this stuff is
recoded again as it's sent to the client.  Big, big mess.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net