Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > I think eventually pg_ctl should be folded into the postmaster executable.
> > This would remove a great amount of possible misunderstandings between the
> > two programs.
>
> Like what?

The biggie is that pg_ctl reports the postmaster to have started
successfully without ever checking.  And the "wait" option is broken and
not trivial to fix.

Other problems are the matching of the port numbers and the requirement
that admins should be able to enter a password when the server starts (for
SSL).

The luring prerequisite here is that the postmaster would have to be able
to log directly to a file, which now that all communication is guaranteed
to go through elog() should be less complicated, at least compared to
fixing the "wait" option.  In fact I'm hoping that the Windows porters
will run into this same requirement just about pretty soon.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net