Re: internal voting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: internal voting
Date
Re: internal voting  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Ross J. Reedstrom writes:

> All very practical, execpt for one point: the people being pulled togther
> for this _have_ code, with nowhere to put it: they've been developing
> new features for pgaccess, on top of the stable pgsql. Tracking CVS
> tip means that the current version of pgaccess there is either broken
> by underlying pgsql changes (I think that is currently true with Tom's
> schema work) or does not work with the current stable version og pgsql.

We went through a very similar situation with the JDBC driver a release
ago.  A number of people had developed fixes or features for the driver
and no one was collecting them.  We've got those people working on the 7.2
branch and everything worked out well.  Yes, this meant that the features
and fixes were not immediately available in the 7.1 branch.  But the
alternative of forking pgaccess now is that the available fixes and
features will not be available in the 7.3 branch for quite a while.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net