Re: Context switch storm - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Troy
Subject Re: Context switch storm
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Richard Huxton wrote:

> It's memory bandwidth issues on the older Xeons. If you search the
> archives you'll see a lot of discussion of this. I'd have thought 8.1
> would be better than 7.4 though.

Hmmm... I just checked; one of our production systems is a multi-cpu Xeon
based system of uncertain age (nobody remember 'zactly). While we haven't
seen this problem yet, it's scheduled to take over demo-duty shortly and
it would be an embarassment if we had this trouble during a demo... Is
there any easy way to tell if you're at risk?

Thanks,
Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist