Re: The features I'm waiting for. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: The features I'm waiting for.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 4 May 2004, David Garamond wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:
> > For me, the only features I'm likely to use in the upcoming releases are
> > nested transactions.  While PITR is a great selling point, and the Windows
> > Port is something I do look forward to, having to do half my job
> > programming windows boxes, nested transactions are a feature I can
> > genuinely use in my daily (maybe weekly??? :-) life.
> >
> > While a focus on things that make postgresql more market acceptable are
> > important, the things that make it more feature complete to me as a user
> > are the things I'd gladly wait an extra month or two for.
> >
> > But I'm not programming any of the code, so I'm just sayin'...
>
> I'm sure everybody has their own favorite feature. But I can say quite
> confidently that the upcoming release contains the most number of highly
> anticipated features ever. Nested transaction, 2-phase commit, Windows
> port... I mean these are all major stuffs. They are paving the way of
> deployments of Postgres in new areas and applications. Plus don't forget
> all the other sweet goodies like autovacuum and PITR.
>
> But the next release could also be the buggies version ever, due to the
> number of these new features. :-)

Agreed.  My only real point was that userland features are the reason I
upgrade.  Simple stuff like the inclusion of regex in the substring
function in version 7.3 or 7.4 was awesome.  It was small and simple, and
made my life MUCH easier.

And while I might not be hacking the code, I'm quite willing to be a beta
tester.  :-0

So, thanks to all the hackers, for doing such a great job.