Re: Windows Installer with Configuration Instructions - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Windows Installer with Configuration Instructions
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Harley Milne wrote:

> I urgently need to a working windows installer that can successfully install
> and configure a version of postgresql.
>
> It's been a frustrating experience trying to locate and use anything I have
> found out there.
>
> I've tried installing a couple installers that I've located, but the server
> never seems to start.
>
> I'm running Win 2k SP 4
>
> If somebody has an installer and instructions that work, please can you send
> them to me.
> I need to convert a 2 table Access dB to gresql and and update the tomcat
> app to use JDBC or OBDC to connect to the new dB.

Have you tried going to http://www.cygwin.com/ ?

You can download cygwin, and postgresql is one of the optional packages
available during install.  Just select it and go.

It's not the fastest but it's pretty reliable, and it works well.  If you
want a native version, it would be advisable to wait until the windows
port is done, as most of the windows ports out there are based on older
versions, and probably have other issues as well, guessing based on all
the corner cases that the official win32 porters are running into right
now.