Re: FW: Postgres: VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: FW: Postgres: VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 lnd@hnit.is wrote:

> > On heavily used databases (over 100,000 transactions an
> > hour), vacuum is
> > a killer
>
> That's about 27 tx/second - not so many, for some tasks at least.
>
> If VACUUM is rather a killer
> - are any plans from PostgreSQL to deal with that?

Yes, Tom and friends have been tossing back and forth a patch to implement
a sleep between x number of pages being vacuumed to remove the heavy load
vacuum can place on a system.  Early testing looks promising, so it's
likely that if enough of us order Tom or somebody a pizza it will get
done. :-)  I certainly would like to see it.