Re: Recovery Data Cant Be!!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Recovery Data Cant Be!!!
Date
List pgsql-general
You're likely looking for pgfsck:

http://svana.org/kleptog/pgsql/pgfsck.html

Strong medicine, please backup your $PGDATA directory before playing
there, as you might wind up breaking things.

What's the exact error message in your logs when the database won't start
up?

The problem you're seeing is common when running on IDE drives with write
cache enabled, or with fsync=false on IDE with write cache disabled or
SCSI.  On a solid storage subsystem, postgresql is close to
indestrubtable, i.e. you can crank up 500 simo transactions, pull the
plug, and the database will come right back up.  That's how we test our
servers to make sure that the WAL and such is working properly.