Re: pg_ctl vs full restart - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: pg_ctl vs full restart
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Allen Landsidel wrote:

> Here's maybe a silly question, but I haven't seen it asked or answered
> so..  For those settings in the .conf file that say "this doesn't take
> effect until the database is restarted".. does that mean that "pg_ctl
> reload" also does not reload them?
>
> I imagine the statement is specific, and means what it says, but I'm
> curious anyway..

Yep, a restart trumps a reload.  I.e. things that need reloading will get
changed at restart as well, but things that need a restart won't get
changed during a reload.

Some things can only be set on the startup of the postmaster.  i.e.
restart