Re: virus warning - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: virus warning
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Paul Thomas wrote:

> On 19/09/2003 07:17 Tomasz Myrta wrote:
> > Hi
> > Recently I receive massive mail attack. This attack comes from some
> > postgresql mailing list users. All send-to adresses are taken from users
> > mailboxes which contain postgresql posts. Currently I found two kinds of
> > viruses:
> > 1. Empty post with "Undelivered message to..." body
> > 2. Microsoft "Dear Customer... " based on www.microsoft.com design.
> > Both mails contains some .exe attachement.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tomasz Myrta
>
> So far I've had nearly 150 of these in the last 12 hours or so. Somebody
> on these lists has a lot of explaining to do! Fortunately my spam filters
> are up to scratch and I run Linux :) Others may not be so lucky.

Keep in mind, if you check the headers on the emails you'll see that they
are forged.  I've been getting about 20 emails a day telling me a message
I know I didn't send was infected with a virus.

I got 432 last night inbound, some with names forged from this list,
others from names unknown.

But I don't think it's not the folks on this list, I think it's a
windows worm that looks in people's email, harvests names at random, and
forged email based on it.