Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From netadmin@vcsn.com
Subject Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 April 2003 15:18, Network Administrator wrote:
> > Or you can use a run-time Linux CD (or boot floppies) and use the "dd"
> > program in Linux to image your drive.  I built an imaging solution with a
> > modified Slackware 8.0 run-time CD (disk 2) this way.  Its biased for Dell
> > (and all they're RAID stuff) but if your hardware is not too proprietary
> > you can pretty much do things right with the stock CD or newer boot
> > floppies...
>
> Ghost can reimage to a drive with a different size and geometry.  It then
> touches up the partition tables, but leaves your bootloader in the MBR
> intact.  I haven't been able to do that with dd as yet; for identical
> geometries dd works well.  I don't have ghost 2003; 2002 couldn't resize
> ext2/3 partitions as yet.  2002 can resize NTFS and FAT, however.
>
> I have used Ghost more than once for hard drive upgrades; both Linux and
> Win2k, desktop and server.
> --
> Lamar Owen
> WGCR Internet Radio
> 1 Peter 4:11

Yep that is the failing of using dd alone and I actually was trying
out some things in a lab setting with sfdisk to try and manually
resize the partition but I didn't get to much into it.  The fact that
I could image our Netware servers with this solution made everyone
happy enough.  But I might try it again 'cause we have used the dd
method to build new servers.  In NT and Netware, you can add space to
your partitions so even though it is not the cleanest approach it did
satisfy the disaster recovery objectives.  I think I might give  it
another shot next time I upgrades the CD.

---
Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications
Visions Communications Support Network, Inc.
netadmin@vcsn.com
http://vcsn.com
---