Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27 Nov 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> scott.marlowe kirjutas K, 27.11.2002 kell 01:40:
> > On 27 Nov 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >
> > > You could try out VMWare and run a linux virtual machine under Windows,
> > > You could set it up once with all necessary servers and then copy the
> > > files to each new developers machine.
> > >
> > > VMWare is not free, but should be significantly cheaper than buying a
> > > whole computer.
> >
> > If you're gonna go that far, look at reversing that situation, i.e. run a
> > linux box for each person with windows in vmware.  It's a much more stable
> > situation than the other way around.
>
> That's how I use it.
>
> It's also nice way to try out new win software - install it, check it
> out and if you don't like it just say no to "save changes?" when closing
> the vmware session ;)

Plus, it's real easy to back up your windows servers.  just shut them
down, backup their image, and start them back up.

> > P.S. a note on windows and vmware:  It's not uncommon for companies now to
> > build a large linux box, put vmware gsx on it, and run dozens of windows
> > instances.  That way the spare cycles for one server can be used by
> > another, you can consolidate your windows servers onto a couple of boxen,
> > and you get much more reliable operation from windows when the hardware is
> > abstracted away from underneath it.
>
> I guess this would be good for win _servers_, but how would you use this
> setup for developers - will they all sit around a single box ?

You could probably use xwindows remote sessions for something like that,
but yeah, I was strictly thinking servers at that point.  :-)

There is some work being done to put mutiple video cards and keyboard/mice
onto a single large box and share it though.  I don't think I like taking
sharing quite that far though. :-0