Re: performance of insert/delete/update - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: performance of insert/delete/update
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, scott.marlowe wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Tim Gardner wrote:
>
> > I'm new to postgresql, and as you suggested, this is
> > counter-intuitive to me.  I would have thought that having to store
> > all the inserts to be able to roll them back would take longer.  Is
> > my thinking wrong or not relevant?  Why is this not the case?
>
> Your thinking on this is wrong, and it is counter-intuitive to think that
> a transaction would speed things up.  Postgresql is very different from
> other databases.

Sorry that came out like that, I meant to write:

I meant to add in there that I thought the same way at first, and only
after a little trial and much error did I realize that I was thinking in
terms of how other databases did things.  I.e. most people make the same
mistake when starting out with pgsql.