Re: vacuum full - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: vacuum full
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Henrik Steffen wrote:

> sorry, didn't notice your message posted to pgsql-general...
>
> but is there any method to see the size in bytes a particular index
> for a particular table takes?

There are some sql queries that can tell you the number of blocks used and
all, but I generally do it with oid2name (you can get it installed by
going into your source tree/contrib/oid2name and doing a make/make install
there.)

oid2name by itself will tell you the oids of your databases.  On my fairly
fresh system it looks like this:

All databases:
---------------------------------
16976  = postgres
1      = template1
16975  = template0

Then,

'oid2name -d postgres' outputs this:

16999  = g
17025  = g_name_dx
16977  = gaff
16988  = test
16986  = test_id_seq
17019  = tester

So, I can do this 'ls -l $PGDATA/base/16976/17025'

to see how big the index g_name_dx is.