Re: postgresql 7.2b5 and vserver: statistics sockets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: postgresql 7.2b5 and vserver: statistics sockets
Date
List pgsql-general
> > everyone (including people in a "hostile" vserver on the same physical
> > machine) could bind to it and interfere with our vserver -> Not So
> > Good(tm).
>
> That might be a good argument in general, but it does not apply to
> Postgres' use of 127.0.0.1, because we bind that socket to its own
> address, so only packets out of the same socket will be received.

What you're saying is that it shouldn't really matter whether you use
127.0.0.1, the ipv6 ::1 or another ipv4 or 6 address (but that's another
can of worms :-).

Anyway, the problem is pinpointed and solved (for me).

Regards,
Tycho

--
Tycho Fruru            tycho.fruru@conostix.com
Users' impressions of different operating systems, expressed as emoticons: