Upgrading template1: 7.1.2 -> 7.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Upgrading template1: 7.1.2 -> 7.1.3
Date
List pgsql-general
  We run Red Hat 6.2 here, with the latest packages installed. I wanted to
upgrade postgres from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3, so I grabbed the source rpm from one
of the ftp mirrors and rebuilt it.

  Not having any data of importance to save (I've had too many higher
priorities to really get going), I skipped the dump step and went directly
to 'rpm -Uvh postgresql*'. All worked well until I tried to restart the
postmaster:

[root@salmo i386]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

$An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade the
data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee (Your System's documentation
directory)/postgresql-7.1.2/README.rpm-dist for more information.

  So, I read README.rpm-dist and learned that I need to find the directions
on the web site (or a mirror) for fixing this known bug. This leads to my
question:

  Where on the web site is this information?

  I've looked at the "users corner", "software" and other links without
seeing the instructions for upgrading /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/template1/*.

  Please pass me a pointer to the instructions so I can once again have a
working postgres installation.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President