Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Reinhard Max
Subject Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Vsevolod Lobko wrote:

> > For a third proposal which is IMHO the cleanest one so far, please
> > have a look at the mail, I've sent to Bruce and psql-bugs earlier
> > today. In short: PostgreSQL should be compiled with --enable-multibyte
> > and --enable-unicode-convertion and the Tcl interfaces (PgTcl and
> > PL/Tcl) should be changed to set their client encoding to UNICODE if
> > the Tcl version requires UTF-8 strings.
>
> third proposal relates to pgtcl clients only, patch deals with pl/tcl.
> So it's unrelated problems.

Not really. There is a similar patch proposed for PgTcl and I think
the problem should be resolved having both libraries in mind to get a
consistent behaviour on whatever side - client or server - Tcl is
used.

BTW, the proposal in your other mail to use pg_do_encoding_conversion
for PL/Tcl seems to be in the sense than my proposal to use UNICODE as
client encoding in PgTcl and it would also need PostgreSQL to be
compiled with --enable-multibyte and --enable-unicode-convertion.

So this seems to be the most clean and consistent solution:

- PostgreSQL requires to be compiled with --enable-multibyte
  and --enable-unicode-convertion if it ought to work correctly
  with Tcl/Tk >= 8.1 (client or server side).

- PL/Tcl needs to be changed to use pg_do_encoding_conversion
  if it runs on a Tcl version >= 8.1 .

- PgTcl needs to be changed to set it's cliend encoding to UNICODE
  if it runs on a Tcl version >= 8.1 .

Can we agree on that?

cu
    Reinhard