Re: Backup and Recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew Kirkwood
Subject Re: Backup and Recovery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Naomi Walker wrote:

> Even more important that uptime to us, is to never put ourselves in a
> position where we could lose data.  I understand I can do a hot backup
> with pg_dumpall.  What we need on top of that is the ability to replay
> the transaction logs against the previous database archive.  Without
> such a feature, even if I did a full backup a few times a day, we
> would be vulnerable to losing hours of data (which would not be
> acceptable to our users).

This is what I'd like too (though I'm not that bothered about
rolling forward from a dump if I can just do it by replaying
logs onto real datafiles).

I mentioned it a while ago:

http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=114397

but got no response.

You are aware that you can still lose up to (by default) 16Mb
worth of transactions in this scheme, I presume?

Matthew.