Re: "make report" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: "make report"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> I'd like to implement *something* to help us collect information on what
> platforms actually have what features. This would be useful, for
> example, for figuring out whether any platforms are lacking 8 byte
> integers or are missing timezone infrastructure.

I don't think that's very useful.  Most configuration checks are there
because some platform needed them at one point.  (Some are not -- that's a
different story.)  Those platforms do not go away, and receiving thousands
of reports about "I have feature X" won't prove that there are no systems
without feature X.

If you want to collect information about what features are portable you
can check other software packages, product manuals, ports trees, etc.
Most issues are documented someplace.

Btw., yes, 8 byte integers are missing on some platforms.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net