Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> I don't buy that premise.  It's true that SQL92 equates ownership of a
> schema with ownership of the objects therein, but AFAICS we have no hope
> of being forward-compatible with existing database setups (wherein there
> can be multiple tables of different ownership all in a single namespace)
> if we don't allow varying ownership within a schema.

We could have a Boolean knob that says "if you don't find the object in
the default schema, search all other schemas".  That should provide all
the backward compatibility we need.  Moreover, I figure if we do it that
way, the whole schema implementation reduces itself mostly to parser work,
no complicated system catalog changes, no complex overhaul of the
privilege system -- at least initially.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net