Re: 7.2b5 libpq++ include files broken? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: 7.2b5 libpq++ include files broken?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane writes:

> Reinhard Max <max@suse.de> writes:
> > as of 7.2b5 'libpq++.h' includes 'libpq++/pgconnection.h' which in
> > turn tries to include 'postgres_fe.h' which can't be found because it
> > has bee moved to the 'internal' subdirectory.
>
> Why was it moved to the internal subdirectory?  This seems a clear
> error, as it will break a lot of stuff, and there is not a namespace
> reason to do it.

First, "postgres_fe.h" was invented to be the first file included by
client programs *within* the PostgreSQL source tree *only*.  (Remember we
annoyed the PHP folks over this but forced them to fix it.)  Second, and
more importantly, it includes c.h, which has namespace problems written
all over it.  I think postgres_fe.h should not be included by libpq++ at
all.  The only thing I recall it needing is the namespace configure test,
which it already gets via pg_config.h.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net