mail list headers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Peterson
Subject mail list headers
Date
List pgsql-general
Just a nit.

If I ran the world, I would make sure all of the world's mailing lists
only accepted mail in which the list address was contained in either the
To: or Cc: fields.

This ensures it will always be possible to write a simple filter rule
to capture and process mail list messages I recieve.

Prepending text to the beginning of mail list subject lines, like
[GENERAL] also attempts to serve this purpose.  But not as well.  For
example, [GENERAL] is rather, well, general.  Something more specific
would co-opt the majority of the subject line.

Using extra headers (X-something) to capture this information excludes a
number of client side email programs from doing mail filtering.  None that
I use or care about, but just to be PC, I wouldn't recommend doing this
either.

Again, just a nit, that will probably accomplish nothing other than to
ignite a heated discussion about everyone's email pecadillos.

--

-Ron-
https://www.yellowbank.com/