Re: Permission Denied When i am Trying to take Backup - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: Permission Denied When i am Trying to take Backup
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Stefan Huber wrote:

> Well, this might be true, if you are on a system, where more than one
> humans are operating. Or are there some other reasons behind this philosophy?
> I mean, a buffer overflow (I don't claim to know of any in Postgres) can
> cause more problems when running as root than as user.

You should never run Postgres as root, regardless of whether or not root
owns the executables.  The server should still always be run as a
non-priveleged user.

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
La-dee-dee, la-dee-dah.