Re: Multibyte FAQ item - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Multibyte FAQ item
Date
List pgsql-general
Jani Averbach writes:

>      --enable-multibyte
>
>           Allows the use of multibyte character encodings. This is
>           primarily for languages like Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. Read
>           the Administrator's Guide for details.
> --8<--
>
> If you are 8-bit speaking people (ie. iso8859-1), you will just think ok,
> thats not concern me. And at the that very same moment you will lose.

This really comes down to the point that multibyte, unicode, and locale
should be the defaults.  People generally object to this on performance
grounds, but that reminds me of the saying, "I can make this code
arbitrarily fast if it doesn't have to give the right answer."  Nor do I
believe these claims, btw.