Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal
Date
Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal  (Reinhard Max <max@suse.de>)
List pgsql-patches
Reinhard Max writes:

> So basically there are two possibilities:
>
> a) Patch pl/tcl and PgTcl to do the code conversion, but do it right
>    by using the Database's encoding instead of Tcl's system encoding.
>
> b) Require databases to be in UNICODE if they are to be accessed
>    from Tcl >= 8.1 so that the strings that come out of the database
>    are already UTF-8.

Could you summarize how that affects the proposed patch?  (The patch is
already in, but I'm still not sure if it's not just an arbitrary
workaround.)