Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Patch for pl/tcl Tcl_ExternalToUtf and Tcl_UtfToExternal support
Date
List pgsql-patches
Vsevolod Lobko writes:

> > Is there a way to make this automatically enabled based on the TCL
> > version?  Does that make sense?
>
> This adds significant overhead to pl/tcl calls :((
> so I'm not sure that anybody want this functionality enabled by default

It is my understanding that Tcl 8.3 will not work with 8 bit characters
without this functionality.  That would simply be unacceptable.  If users
want better performance they should use a different Tcl version, but we
should not override Tcl's design decisions unilaterally.