Re: Using oids for fast read-only access? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Using oids for fast read-only access?
Date
List pgsql-general
Christopher Zach writes:

> After inserting the geometry, the data is read only, therefore I would like
> to replace the id's in the rtree with oids (or anything that has a constant
> time access).

And what makes you think oids have a more "constant" access time than
integers?  The only thing you will save if you omit the id column is
space.

> The problem is that a "select * from geometry where oid=xxx" is a lot slower
> than selecting objects by their id (since the former does a seq scan and the
> later an index scan).

No surprise if you haven't got an index on oid.

> The PostgreSQL documentation doesn't say much about oids and their use,
> therefore I need al little help...

Oids aren't really any different than other (integer) types, only that
they are generated automatically.