Re: FATAL 1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: FATAL 1
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:

> Probably.  If your *postmaster* is running out of memory then you have
> some serious problems.  (But: we have had memory-leak problems in the
> past in certain authentication paths.  What PG version are you running,
> anyway?)

I think the behaviour is that if the system as a whole runs out of memory
(physical + swap or whatever) the kernel randomly kills processes to make
room.  So a disappearing postmaster is not necessarily a sign of a fault
on PostgreSQL's part.  I'm not sure how to configure the kernel in this
area, I just recall the discussion on the kernel mailing list about
whether the init process would be allowed to be randomly killed as well.
(I kid you not.)