Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions
Date
List pgsql-patches
Paul Ramsey writes:

>   Otherwise problems, just the problem of our being there first: most
> people won't be sufficiently loyal to the BSD licence to want to
> reimplement the whole OpenGIS spec when there's already an open source
> version around.

That's exactly my point.  We at PostgreSQL have confirmed many times that
the BSD license is not just a historical accident but a desired feature of
our product.  I think we should not compromise that by effectively
endorsing and supporting a partial replacement for our product that does
not meet these standards.

> This is
> something which probably should be hashed out in general. What
> constitues the core product and (just as important) what are the
> packaging standards for non-core modules which will allow them to
> be added to the core with a minimum of effort (CPAN is an excellent
> example).

Good points.  I think before long we need some sort of extension
repository as well.