Re: "critical mass" reached? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Howansky
Subject Re: "critical mass" reached?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Presumably you're running vacuum analyze regularly (at least once a day I'd
> guess) so I can only suspect that something has tipped the balance in the
> cost estimations. Is there a particular query that's slow and can you post
> an EXPLAIN?

Oops, yes, sorry forgot to mention that. Vacuum analyze run nightly. There is
not just one particluar query that runs slow -- it's the database as a whole
(while apparently under the same average everyday load).

> Looks like you've ruled out damage to the DB. What happens if you delete 3
> million of the records in your log-table?

We haven't got that far yet. I was hoping to get some other ideas prior to
doing something so drastic, but we'll try it ...

> Six million _tables_ is a lot, but you're right 6M records is pretty small
> compared to what some people are using.

Oops again. I gotta stop trying to debug at 3am... :)

--
Alex Howansky
Wankwood Associates