Re: How robust is postgresql ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: How robust is postgresql ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, John Madden wrote:

> Yum - can filesystem backups be done in 7.0.x?  (I would much prefer to
> killall -15 postmaster and copy files around than deal with pg_dump
> stuff.)  Or do I have to wait for 7.1?

I don't see why not -- you're just copying files.  The biggest issue with
the filesystem backup is making sure you get the correct logs backed up
also.

If you are upgrading between version, though, you have to use the pg_dump
way, as binary compatibility between versions is not guaranteed.

-- Brett
                http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Live free or die.