Re: enable-debug considered pointless - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: enable-debug considered pointless
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> I notice that if the platform's template doesn't set CFLAGS, then
> configure will give you -g in CFLAGS whether you ask for it or not
> (courtesy of AC_PROG_CC).  The --enable-debug configure switch thus does
> not function as advertised.  If we are going to say that --enable-debug
> isn't recommended for production, don't you think there should be a way
> to turn it off?  Perhaps this means that all the template files should
> force a setting of CFLAGS;

This was sort of the idea, but I see some disappeared.

> or else that we should not use the stock version of AC_PROG_CC.  Or
> maybe just set CFLAGS to empty right before AC_PROG_CC?

Probably best for now.  Eventually, I'd like it to look more like the
AC_PROG_CXX code, all in one place.  Right now the templates are a
safe-guard against trying to build on a platforms that's not supported at
all, but it should actually be possible to do just that, without shared
libraries maybe, and with the software-TAS that you implemented.  But ISTM
that we've covered the recent wave of new operating systems, so this is
not a pressing issue to me.