Re: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?
Date
RE: [DOCS] Re: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:

> Aside from persuading more people to spend time answering email
> questions, I agree we need to work harder on making answers findable
> outside the mailing lists.  Improving the docs, making the mail archives
> more easily searchable, etc etc.  I dunno if an "annotated manual" would
> help --- I've never used one --- but if people want to try one, it can't
> hurt.  The main problem is to get the work done.  We need volunteers to
> actually do some of these things, not just suggest them ...

One thing we should try to do in the future (i.e., the next big attack I
have on you) is to maintain a human-edited concept index for the docs,
like every good non-fiction book has at the end.  The technical details
for this are mostly worked out, it just needs someone to compose a list of
all "concepts" and find all the places where they're discussed.

This might even be something to stick in for the 7.1.1 release, because
otherwise there will be another 8 month lag before it becomes useful.