Re: Reference manual - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Reference manual
Date
List pgsql-docs
Vince Vielhaber writes:

> > But you don't claim that the listing at
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/#7.0
> >
> > has any additional content whatsoever, do you?
>
> Yes, it tells you exactly what you're going to get when you click
> on it.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing here.  The current docs have,
for example, a link "PostgreSQL 7.1 User's Guide".  To me that says that
when I click on it I get to read the User's Guide for PostgreSQL 7.1.

In the user's lounge I have links along the lines of "Read the User's
Guide online".  That tells me the same thing.

> Can't use includes.  Can't use PHP.  Can't hard code it into the docs.
> Can't use a bunch of things.  We have mirrors.   I'd love to redo it in
> PHP and serve up the content dynamically but that ain't gonna happen any
> time soon.

I wasn't talking about server-side includes.  Don't you have template file
fragments that you use when you create a new file on the web site?  These
could be inserted into the documentation files automatically when they are
*created*.  What do you mean with "can't hardcode" if you don't generate
things dynamically?