Re: Switch pg_ctl's default about waiting? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Switch pg_ctl's default about waiting?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> Now that the postmaster takes a noticeable amount of time to shut down,
> I'm wondering if pg_ctl's default about whether or not to wait ought
> to be reversed.  That is, "-w" would become the norm, and some new
> switch ("-n" maybe) would be needed if you didn't want it to wait.

Two concerns:

1.  The waiting isn't very reliable as we recently found out.  (If you
wait on shutdown, then wait on startup would be default as well, no?)

2.  Why would you necessarily care to wait for shutdown?  Startup I can
see, but shutdown doesn't seem so important.