Cannot create users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Cannot create users
Date
List pgsql-general
  Perhaps I didn't get an answer to this question because I posted it
originally late last Friday, and it got lost over the weekend. So, I will
try again this Monday morning. :-)

  I did a completely new installation of 7.0.3 via rpm. When I su'd to
'postgres' and tried to create another user (me) this is what I saw:

[postgres@salmo rshepard]$ createuser rshepard
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
psql: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details
createuser: creation of user "rshepard" failed

  Will someone please explain to me what I missed during the installation? I
know it must be something simple, but I don't see the answer in the
administrator's manual. (If the answer is there, please pass me a pointer to
the page number and I'll go read it for myself.)

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)