Missing pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Missing pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
  Now that I successfully installed the packages for 7.0.3-2, I went to
create a new user. Logged in as 'postgres', I tried to create me as a
postgres user. This is what resulted:

[postgres@salmo rshepard]$ createuser rshepard
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
psql: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details
createuser: creation of user "rshepard" failed

  Again, it's been a while, so I don't remember if I need to create
/var/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf by hand. What's the procedure, please?

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)