Re: RedHat attitude - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: RedHat attitude
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Le Samedi 14 Décembre 2002 21:21, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> > I don't agree with the Red-Hat-bashing sentiment expressed in this and
> > elsewhere.  Sure, RH did rename their PostgreSQL version *for branding
> > and marketing reasons*.  However, they are employing at least one
> > full-time PostgreSQL hacker, and their "value-add" administration tools
> > have, at this point, all been contributed to the community.  Red Hat,
> > regardless of their *marketing* decisions on what versions and
> > alterations of OSS software they distribute, have *always* made the
> > source available to their Linux products.
>
> IMHO, RedHat is missing basic economical concepts :

[snip]

Red Hat employ. Tom and some other programmers who work on Postgres. They
don't appear to drag Tom around the world like a show pony. In fact, Red
Hat do not do that to any of the programmers they employ. They have to
make money from that and if that means selling software and services, so
be it. Anything Red Hat does in marketing the Red Hat Database will help
PostgreSQL -- it increases the market for open source databases and it
increases the people's exposure to PostgreSQL.

Lets talk about more important issues. Please.

Gavin