RE: Re: Re: How to install on Windows? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Burton
Subject RE: Re: Re: How to install on Windows?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 7 May 2001, Albertson, Chris wrote:

> > From: Erick Papadakis [mailto:erick_papadakis@yahoo.com]
> >
> > thanks for taking the time to write that. i have indeed read
> > the manual
> > (however thin it is), and i have seen several postgresql
> > sites, searched on
> > google/av/fast - but there is *nothing* that tells me what to
> > do with the
> > cygwin thingie. i am sorry for being a newbie, but i would
> > appreciate if you
> > could tell me what is "initb"?
>
> That's "initdb"   There is a man page for it.
>
> cygwin is a library that lets you build UNIX source on an MS Win
> box.  It should come with it's own docs.
>
> Do you _really_ need to run under Windows?
> Not many people use MS Win so there are not many who can help
> you here.

Sorry to second that, but, if you don't know what cygwin is,
or what initdb is, you probably shouldn't try to run anything
serious on PG-on-NT. If you want to play around a bit, or
have a chance to test what it feels like, that's fine,
but, IMHO, you should have a good grasp of how PG works in its
native environment -- Unix & Unix-like -- before trying
to install & use it under WinNT.

If you really need a Open Source database to run under WinNT,
and need it yesterday, you might be happier looking at Interbase
or MySQL. Both of them are out-of-the-box an easier install and better
supported under Windows. Interbase is fairly close to PG in the features
it offers.

Good luck,
--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>